Everyone loves a rainbow don't they? We love them, this is our tribute to rainbows.
I was inspired to make rainbow cupcakes after a friend showed me a picture of these elaborate pinata cookies which she thought Moo would love. They looked incredible but to be honest the recipe didn't sound too tasty.
So I created my own version, using my old faithful Donna Hay kids' magazine cupcake recipe.
Basic Mix and Melt Vanilla Cupcakes - for 12 standard cupcakes
1 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted
¾ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
1 cup caster sugar
125g butter, melted
¾ cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Blue and Pink food colouring
7 cups and teaspoons for mixing colours
1 quantity of chocolate butter icing (see recipe below)
hundreds and thousands (rainbow sprinkles)
1. Preheat oven 160°c fan bake and line cupcake tray with papercases.
2. Place flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Divide cupcake mixture equally between the cups and mix your colours. We did red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and pink (I know technically pink isn’t in the rainbow but Moo insists it is).
4. Spoon one teaspoon of each colour into the papercases in above order
5. Bake for 20-25mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Place cakes on wire rack to cool.
6. Ice and decorate.
Chocolate Butter Icing
70g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar
¼ cup sifted cocoa
1 tablespoon boiling water
1. Beat butter with electric mixer or beater for 5 minutes.
2. Add Icing sugar and cocoa, water and beat until light and fluffy.