kale crisps

Kale seems somewhat of a fad food right now, I've been seeing kale on blogs and recipe books all the time lately. Maybe it's relatively new to New Zealand, but I had never eaten it before but I was certainly keen to try. Kale is a superfood that is crazy high in nutritional value, it has high levels of vitamins K, A, C to name just a few and has antioxidant and anti-inflamatory benefits. There's plenty of reading around if you want know more.

I'd come across this recipe a wee while ago on My New Roots food blog and thought it would be the perfect first try. It actually took a request for Kale Crisps from Moo's daddy for me to get around to making them. I was delighted with the result, very addictive. 

We found curly kale at our local wholefoods store Harvest Wholefoods. Louise has informed me kale is crazy easy to grow, possibly the most hardy vegetable there is to grow. I will have to give it a go. 



KALE CRISPS: adpated from recipe by Sarah Britton on My New Roots

Ingredients
200 grams of kale (I used the curly variety)
juice of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon agave syrup 
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons tamari
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup sesame seeds

Method
1. Preheat oven to 100C. Line baking tray with baking paper.
2. Wash kale thoroughly and dry, trying to remove as much water as possible.
3. Tear kale away from stem. Each kale leaf should be torn into about 6 or eight pieces
4. Place all ingredients except for the kale into a bowl, whisk together.
5. Add the kale and mix together with your hands, gently massaging the leaves with the dressing.
6. Lay kale out on the tray and place in oven. 
7. At 30 minutes, remove from oven and gently unstick kale from pan if it has stuck and replace for another 10-15 minutes until kale is dry and crispy.
8. Allow to cool. Can store in fridge for up to a week.