The fruit puree is from Annabel Karmel's Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner. I also like to use organic dried fruit as the sulphur dioxide or E220 used to preserve the bright orange color of dried apricots can trigger asthma in susceptible babies (I found this out from the book).
DRIED FRUIT PUREE
1. I put a bag of dried fruit (mine are 300g) in a heavy-based saucepan, fill with fresh cold water until covered. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
2. Then turn the heat off and leave to cool with the lid on.
3. Once cool I blend them to a puree. I put what I am not using in ice cube containers and freeze. It is great as a natural sweetener mixed with greek yogurt.
100g medium grain white rice
400ml coconut milk
175ml dried fruit puree, raisin or apricot
½ vanilla pod cut in two
1. Put everything in a heavy-based saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
1. Preheat oven to 150C. Grease a baking dish with sunflower oil.
2. Put everything in the baking dish.
3. Bake for 1¼ hours, stirring occasionally. Leave untouched for the last ½ hour, if you would like a golden skin to form.